Lately I’ve been making a lot of cakes for my friends. Many of them were born in July, which means it’s “birthday season” for us. And what’s a birthday without a special cake? 🙂
Thankfully, my friends trust my artistic judgment completely. They all love my cakes and designs, so they always give me total creative freedom. 🙂 While that’s usually great, this time I struggled to come up with a design. My mind had gone blank; all I knew was that I wanted the cake to be pink, yellow, and purple. 🙂
I started by frosting the cake, only to get stuck with zero inspiration for the next step. :/ Then some ideas started coming to me. The macaroons were already done and I had one flower, so I added those to the cake. The act was subconscious, like my hand was being guided. 🙂 I still felt like something was missing, though, so I added pink sprinkles, little gold edible leaves, and some pearls. The next thing I knew, the cake was finished! I was happy with how it turned out! 🙂
The lesson here is that when you’re having a bad day and can’t seem to get inspired, the best thing to do is just start. The spark will come as you work, and soon your project will be complete! 😉
This is the chocolate cake I made. I’m sharing the recipe for the chocolate filling—which, by the way, is probably the best chocolate filling in the world! You can use it on cakes, cupcakes, pancakes, or anything else you want. It will be delicious no matter what!
• 12 egg yolks
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 200g semi-sweet chocolate chips
• 1 stick butter
– On a double boiler, cook your egg yolks and sugar for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
– Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 15-second intervals.
– Pour the chocolate into the egg yolks and mix until everything is combined.
– Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
– Mix the butter with a stand mixer and add it to the chocolate mixture. Mix well until everything is combined.
And voila! The best chocolate filling in the world! Enjoy! 😉